March 4, 2010

Yogaless, Blogless....Complaintless!

So I don't have time for yoga anymore. Obviously, I don't have time to blog anymore. And, I choose not to party near as much since it is SO PAINFUL to sew on a hangover. Ug!

But, even though this sounds like a huge list of complaints, I am EXTREMELY excited to make these sacrifices for our little project called The Sweat Mate. *everyone say 'awww!' here*

The popularity of these little guys has really led me to believe that we have a heck of an idea on our hands here. It started out, of course, as a hobby; a way for me to spread my hippie-tree-hugging around for other fellow hippie-tree-huggers. It blossomed into a hobby, then a website, and then into a business.

And now, I am swamped! *cheering*

Simon and I sat down over an Italian dinner and several glasses of wine in January, and decided that this year was OUR year. I don't care if I am sewing EVERY FREE MOMENT I have - my customers love this product, hence I think it is a great idea, and I think it DESERVES some attention. It needs to be nurtured so it can grow, and have the chance to reach its full potential without my lazy ass holding it back!!

There is going to be a point where I am pretty much overwhelmed with the work, and I already have plans to offload it to my LOCAL sewing shop (yay local economies!), and step back and just manage. I've got it all budgeted and planned and discussed. But I've got to push it to that point, and that means marketing to my customers and getting our name out there. So no matter how swamped I am, no matter how many bottles of wine I need to SLAM to get through HOURS of sewing when all I really want to do is get fat on my couch, I will keep pushing myself to my limit for this entire year to get this where it needs to go.

Insert cheer-leading here:
"Be! Aggressive! B! E! Aggressive! Be A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E! Aggressive! Be be Aggressive!"

(thank god for spell check - I spelled that word wrong even tho I can cheer it - duh)

I'm not pushing it for the money. Obviously, I would like to be able to quit my IT job (oh, to never be on-call again!!!) and do this full time, since sewing is WAY less stress than this place. Who am I kidding - being a brain surgeon would be less stressful some days. For me, its about the things I am doing for this itty bitty planet.

Yeah, yeah, its SOOO cliche to say 'every little bit helps!' but whatev - I say it anyway. And it's true!! Each one of these babies has the potential to save 1000 bags over its lifetime. We have sold over 1200 Sweat Mates - that is 1.2M bags we have potentially saved from landfills. Even now, as I type that, I can't friggin believe it got to this point, and is growing daily. I can't help but be DAMN proud of that!

Thanks to each and every one of you for buying ANY SORT of reusable bag - mine or not. Sure, it's a small gesture. But it's THOUGHTFUL gesture. It restores my faith that people do believe in giving just a bit to help out this beautiful planet of ours.

Now, I am getting off my soapbox and going back into my sewing room. MUAH!

1 comment:

  1. First, I LOVE the "Be Aggressive" cheer. It's my fav!

    Second, woo-hoo! I'm happy these are soaring!

    ReplyDelete